Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Blogging With A Purpose: The Meaning of Marriage

Last week I chose not to participate in Blogging with a Purpose.  Why?  I'm not really sure . . . but I just wasn't feeling it.

The next several weeks focus on a subject that is very dear to my heart -
MARRIAGE

It isn't something that I open up and talk about all that much, but it is the most important relationship in my life.  The relationship between a husband and wife is the most unique in existence, in my opinion.  It is a best friend, a confidant, a life-companion, a comforter, a lover, a sounding board, a shoulder to cry on, a critic, a cheerleader . . . all rolled into one.  I truly believe that there is a person who is made just for you, and that a lot of people get impatient or look in the wrong places and end up in relationships that were not intended to be theirs.  But I also believe that am fortunate to have found "my person".

Are we an unlikely couple?  Maybe.  People have said that my husband wasn't the right person for me.  But my husband makes me so happier, happier than anybody else ever could.  As cliche as it may sound, he truly knows me better than I know myself at times.  And I get him the same way.


So what does marriage mean to me?

It means joy.  Every day I wake up next to my husband just happy to be alive, and to get to spend one more day with him laughing, crying, whatever the day may bring.

It means patience.  I am not a patient person.  Tristan on the other hand tends to be pretty good at it.  This is definitely a struggle for me, but he motivates me to get better at it.  Patience is important in any relationship, particularly when you are living with the other person - in fact I'd say that it is essential.

It means passion.  Marriage needs to be fun.  We are goofy, and silly, and do crazy things just to make each other laugh.  Don't get me wrong, obviously there are times were things need to get serious.  But passion is important - don't lose that "spark"!


It means commitment.  When I said "I do", I said it with my whole heart.  I know that even after death *God forbid* my heart could never wander beyond my honey.  He has it all and I have nothing else to share.

It means perseverance.  Nobody ever said marriage was easy.  Like all good things in life, it takes work.  But that perseverance makes you a stronger person, and strengthens your relationship at the same time.

My marriage may not be perfect, or look the way other people think that it should, but it is mine.  I am happy with my relationship and the direction it is going.  Every day brings something new - may it be laughter or tears or trials or triumphs, it is always changing.  Marriage means the world to me, and even at my weakest moment I wouldn't trade it.  I can't wait to see where we go from here.


post signature

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet post...loved seeing some of your wedding photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing! Your take on your marriage is both beautiful and encouraging! Thank you for opening up to us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to visit me! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...